KYLE, Texas - Another Texas man is at risk of losing his leg to flesh-eating bacteria after a trip to the beach with his family, KTBC reports.
Adrian Ruiz, of Buda, Texas, became infected during a Father's Day weekend vacation to the beach.
Officials believe Ruiz got the bacteria while swimming at Port Aransas. He began feeling ill on Saturday, June 18.
Ruiz developed a rash and was admitted to the ICU at Seton Medical Center Hays in Kyle, Texas, where he was diagnosed with vibrio vulnificus, a bacteria caused by eating under-cooked shellfish or by entering contaminated water with a cut or open wound.
As of Friday, doctors told KXAN Ruiz's recovery is going well. He was walking with some discomfort but the swelling has gone down. Doctors are hopeful they can still save his leg.
This all comes after 50-year-old Brian Parrott lost his leg to a flesh-eating bacteria after visiting the beach in Galveston, Texas, earlier this month. Doctors believe he contracted a flesh-eating bacteria through a cut on his foot.
State health department officials told KXAN there have been 27 reported cases of vibrio this year. Of those, 41 percent involved contact with water.