Charlotte mayor calls for peace after 40 arrested, 9 injured and 1 protester killed

CHARLOTTE, N.C. —  Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts is again calling for peace following a second night of protests against the shooting death of Keith Lamont Scott. Forty-four people were arrested, nine people were injured, and one protester was shot and killed during the protests.

Protesters want justice for Keith Lamont Scott, who was shot and killed Tuesday by a Charlotte police officer. Cops continue to say he had a gun, but his family says it was a book. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney told reporters Thursday there is no definitive visual evidence that Scott ever pointed a gun at the officers. However, he says other evidence supports the version of events the police have provided.

A dashboard camera was rolling and multiple officers were wearing body cameras when Officer Brentley Vinson fired the shot that killed Scott. Video from those sources has not been released, but there is growing pressure to make the video public.

"Quite frankly, because of the climate we're in, I think the city of Charlotte has a right to see that video," said Charlote NAACP President Corine Mack. Putney said he has no plans to release the video to the masses, but he will allow Scott's family to see it.

That's just fine with Charlotte's police union, which doesn't want to see the video used as evidence in the court of public opinion.

"You're still going to have that entity that's going to pick that video apart and put it out there that this was done wrong or that was done wrong," said Charlotte Fraternal Order of Police spokesperson Todd Walther.

Last year North Carolina passed a law that removed police dashboard camera and body camera video from the public record. That means police departments don't have to release it without a court order. The law doesn't go into effect until October, so who knows whether we'll ever see what really happened.