E-cigarette explodes in man’s pocket — leaves him scarred for life!

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WEATHERFORD, Okla. — Talk about lighting up!

When this Oklahoma man, Ethan Fullerton, put this e-cigarette battery in his pocket at a Walmart parking lot, he got a very unpleasant surprise.

“It’s painful thinking about it,” Ethan said.

That’s because the battery blew up in his pants!

“It cooked some of the material to my leg,” Ethan said. Sadly, the blast has left him scarred for life.

“Just from the pain, I knew it was I knew the burns were pretty deep,” Ethan said.

Ethan suffered second- and third-degree burns on his legs and first-degree burns on his hands!

“It’s not really like a bang, like a firecracker. It’s more like someone put a blowtorch in your pocket and lit it,” Ethan said. “It’s just a real hot fireball that heats up, gets real big and goes back down.”

So now he’s got a lawyer and plans to sue for a couple of reasons.

“Just the extent of the injury and not wanting this to happen to anybody else,” he said.

“The first thing we looked at: well, what are the warnings? Are there warnings about this?” Ethan’s attorney Dan Markoff said. “There’s nothing. Nowhere, ever, that tells him don’t keep this in your pocket because that’s dangerous.”

And now Ethan’s days of vaping are over!

“I’m switching to nicotine gum. Yeah, it’s not worth it,” he said.

That’s one burning way to kick the habit!