Man wins roach-eating contest, dies shortly after

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WEST PALM BEACH, FL – There’s something to be said about leaving at the top of your game. And if your game is eating bugs, well then you might as well be the best damn bug eater you can be.

32-year-old Edward Archbold of West Palm Beach, Florida died a champion, after he won a prized python in a contest held at the Ben Siegel Reptile Store, by eating dozens of live roaches and then collapsing.

About 20 to 30 people took part for a chance to win an $850 snake. All participants signed waivers before chowing down on the bugs and no other contestants got sick. Shortly after being declared the winner of the bug eating contest, Archbold barfed-up the roaches and worms, collapsing at the front of the store. He was later declared dead at the hospital.

The official cause of death is still pending.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.