Woman loses legs, fingers after being bitten by dog

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

AUSTIN, TX – Some people say your bark can be bigger than your bite. But one dog’s small bite is turning out to be a much bigger problem for a 48-year-old Texas woman.

In December, Robin Sullins broke up a fight between family dogs and got a small bite on her finger and a scratch on her leg. It didn’t seem like a big deal, but Sullins got really sick with a fever, vomiting and chills. Her organs even began to fail, and her hands and feet turned black and blue.

Doctors figured out it was a bacteria known as ‘Capnocytophaga.’ But it as it turns out, the bacteria is nothing out of the ordinary.  In fact, doctors say it’s found in the saliva of 1/3 of healthy cats and dogs. Normally, humans have nothing to worry about, but because it made its way into Sullins bloodstream, things took a turn for the worst. Doctors had to amputate both her legs and most of her fingers.

Her family has set up a website, www.robinsullins.com to help raise money for her medical bills. They say despite her situation, Sullins still loves her pets. After all, they are called man’s best friend.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.