British sociologists develop 7 new social classes

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LONDON – British folks think too much. That’s why they lost their empire.

While here at home we have only two social classes – the 1%, and the other 99%, which works great for TV, British sociologists created seven categories to describe what was traditionally known as lower class, middle class and upper class.

So get rid of your old text books. BBC and the London School of Economics have recently developed a new social matrix based on income, assets, social connections and social activities. What do we have now?

“The elite”, “the established middle class”, a “technical middle class”, “new affluent workers”, the “traditional working class”, “emergent service workers” and the “precariat”.  It reads like a horoscope.

And now you’ll have to edit your Facebook profile. The British “elite” – people who have it all… except for good teeth –  are 6% of the population. The “precariat” – those who have nothing – are about 15%. And the biggest group is the “established middle class”, with 25%.

While no member of the royal family was willing to fill out the online survey, we’re pretty sure Kate Middleton can teach us a thing or two about social mobility.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.