Komodo dragon killed in San Antonio Zoo fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN ANTONIO, TX – An electrical problem inside the San Antonio Zoo is to blame for a fire that broke out in the reptile area.

We’re sad to report a rare komodo dragon and other reptiles died, and several snakes are in serious condition due from smoke inhalation.

The fire posed some unusual challenges for firefighters, having to dodge dozens of poisonous snakes and keep their water usage to a minimum to avoid drowning the animals.

Luckily, no other animals or people were injured.

The zoo says it could be up to eight months before the komodo exhibit reopens.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.