Louisiana mansion goes up in flames because of motorcycle fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LAFAYETTE, LA – There’s some hot real estate in Louisiana, but for one mansion, it got literal.

A once beautiful brick mansion with white columns in Lafayette is gone. Firefighters worked for hours to put the fire out, and while the homeowner says it was an accident, the cause is something quite unusual. He’s blaming it on his motorcycle.

“I left it running in the garage and I was watching a football game. My children were outside playing basketball and said ‘Dad! Dad! The motorcycle’s on fire.’ So I ran outside, got the garden hose, tried to put the thing out and within minutes, the entire garage was on fire and it spread through the whole house,” ¬†homeowner Ralph Wadleigh explained.

A dumb mistake? Sure. But the good news is no one was hurt.

The lesson — take the key out of the ignition, or your hot ride could end up getting a whole lot hotter.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.