Snake-handling pastor dies from snakebite

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MIDDLEBOROUGH, KY – Most people avoid poisonous snakes at all costs, but for Kentucky pastor Jamie Coots, handling lethal reptiles was just a way of life, until it led to his untimely death.

The Pentecostal pastor was a third-generation serpent handler.

The practice is based on biblical passages like one from the Gospel of Mark: “They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them.”

Well, Pastor Coots took that passage very literally, even showing off his snake handling skills on a National Geographic reality show.

“When I first started in church,” he explains in a clip from the show. “I said if I ever went to a hospital or doctor over a snakebite, I would quit the church.”

There’s a lot you could say about Pastor Coots’ risky lifestyle.

Things like “crazy” and “uh, are you sure that’s a good idea?” come to mind.

But authorities say the pastor refused any treatment for his bite; so we can’t say he wasn’t a man of his word.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.