Woman gets flesh eating bacteria in Galveston

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Woman gets flesh eating bacteria in Galveston

GALVESTON, TX – Galveston’s gotten the reputation of having murky water, but no swimmer expects to find flesh eating bacteria in the water.

That’s exactly what happened. A women in Galveston claims cutting her foot on an oyster bed. After receiving medical attention and stitches for her cut, doctors told her she was infected with Vibrio Vulnificus, a flesh eating bacteria found in warm salt water if not treated quickly, it can be fatal.

Galveston County Health officials say:

“There are several species of Vibrio bacteria that live in coastal saltwater around the world. For the great majority of persons who might come in contact with the gulf water, there is no cause for concern; however Vibrio Vulnificus infections can be a serious concern for people who have weakened immune systems.”

The lesson is, be careful where you step in the gulf. Who knows what’s lurking under that water!

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.