AUSTIN, Tx. -- There's a saying in nature that nothing ever goes to waste and doctors in Austin really took that to heart.
They were able to save 3-year-old Michael Ham's life by using his older brother's poop.
Dr. Sujal Rangwalla, M.D., Pediatric Gastoenterologist Dell Children's Medical Center, says, "We take a stool specimen from a sibling or family member and place it in the patient to see if it helps regenerate their normal florum."
Last December, little Michael came down with a case of strep throat, so doctors gave him antibiotics to treat it.
Michael's mother, Rachel Donegan Ham, says, "Initially we went to the hospital for dehydration in February. He stayed there for 8 days because he couldn't stop throwing up and having diarrhea."
After constant doctors' visits and more antibiotics Michael was finally diagnosed with CDIFF -- an infection triggered by the antibiotics.
Ranwalla says, "CDiff is a bacterial infection that attacks the intestines."
Apparently, using too many of those antibiotics, along with antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers can cause the bad bacteria to become resistant to antibiotics.
It got so bad that it stopped Michael from being able to function like a normal toddler and desperate times called for desperate measures.
Doctors recommended a stool transplant.
Ham says, "So many doctors want the proof before they do the treatment and he listened to his heart and it saved Michael."
Weeks later he was cured.
In this case: one person's waste is another person's cure.