Firefighters injured in 2-alarm blaze in SW Houston
HOUSTON, TX – Houston firefighters suspect a kitchen fire or candles are to blame for a massive apartment fire that broke out overnight in southwest Houston.
Around 2 a.m. Friday, crews got the call about heavy smoke and flames coming from the second story of one of the buildings at Crescent Place Apartments. They called a second alarm when they got on scene.
Crews tell us a smoke alarm woke up one resident who got out of his unit safely, then scrambled to help get his neighbors out.
“Essentially, a $10 device – the smoke alarm – saved the lives of everyone in the structure,” said Dist. 68 Chief Jeff Cook.
Firefighters say one man had to jump from his balcony to escape the flames and part of a wall collapsed into the parking lot, damaging at least one car. We’re told a couple firefighters were injured, though not seriously.
In all, the fire damaged eight units.