Boy beheaded on water slide; girls dumped from Ferris wheel — Are park rides too risky?

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

After police released gruesome new details in the death of the 10-year-old boy killed while riding a Schlitterbahn water slide in Kansas City, we began to wonder if water park are rides too risky.

Police originally said Caleb Scwab was killed by a 'neck injury' but later admitted to People magazine it was actually a decapitation.

During the 50-foot drop on the Verruckt waterslide, investigators said the seat belt harness holding Caleb was not working properly. Since the accident, several folks have come forth to say that's been an ongoing issue there, according to reports.

Police said Caleb flew out of the raft and into the safety net at about 70 miles per hour.

"There was a very loud Boom! Boom!" witness Steve Castaneda said. "I knew immediately that somebody had fallen off the raft."

Caleb's body followed the raft down the slide.

Still, folks at Schlitterbahn in Galveston were not deterred this week, although they were definitely concerned.

"I think it's super important that they consistently check the rides for safety and stuff," Galveston Schlitterbahn visitor Riley Vaughan said. "Especially here in Texas heat where things can get hot and melty and loose and stuff like that."

Despite Caleb's tragic death, his pastor, Clint Sprague, who knew the boy all his life, shared this comforting thought: "This life is not all there is. There's hope for the future. If anybody knew that, it was Caleb."

Let's hope the family of three Tennessee kids who fell off a ferris wheel Monday night have that same faith.

Their girls were at the Greene County Fair in eastern Tennessee, taking a ride in the sky when the basket they were in got tangled with another Ferris wheel basket and flipped over. It dumped them between 35 and 40 feet to the ground.

Lisa Bruner who witnessed the accident described the scene through tears.

"I just feel bad for them little kids, you know. They just screamed a little bit, and they just hit the ground and was laying there," Bruner said.

All three were rushed to the hospital. The 16 and 10-year-olds are now in stable condition, but their 6-year-old sister suffered a traumatic brain injury.

Investigators are still looking into both of these accidents — all terrible tragedies that started out as a simple day of fun.