Police: Texas City commissioner admitted to smoking pot before killing son, father on Galveston Causeway  

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GALVESTON, Texas — Investigators are awaiting lab results that could confirm whether or not a Texas City commissioner was impaired by marijuana when she struck and killed a father and son Sunday night while driving near the Galveston Causeway Bridge, the Galveston Police Department said.

Dee Ann Haney is the commissioner-at-large for Texas City.  She has been charged with two counts of intoxicated manslaughter in the deaths of Van Le, 58, and his son, Phue Le, 32.

According to court documents, Haney showed signs of impairment at the scene and admitted to smoking marijuana before the accident. Police said the suspect failed several exercises while at the scene and was detained.

"She showed signs of smoking marijuana, and she admitted to smoking marijuana," Galveston Police Capt. Joshua Schirard said. "[However] definitely speaking, we'll have to wait for the lab results to come back to know for sure."

Shortly before 1 a.m, officers responded to the fatal accident involving the commissioner's Ford F-150 and the victim's Toyota Tacoma near 8102 Ave J.

Police said the victims and their co-worker were in Galveston repairing a clients window when a piece of equipment became loose. The three people climbed out of the Toyota to tie down the item, the father and son standing on the driver's side of the vehicle and their friend on the passenger's side.

At the time, Haney was approaching the group, traveling northbound in the far right lane. Investigators said the commissioner left the marked right lane, entered the shoulder and struck both victims.

When officers arrived, they found the father and son lying in a grassy area along the right shoulder of the freeway. The victims were pronounced dead at the scene. No word regarding whether the men's co-worker was injured.

Haney was taken to UTMB, where a mandatory blood test was conducted before she was taken to the Galveston County Jail.

Haney is currently out on bail, which has been set at a total $100,000.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.