Space heater causes massive fire at tire shop in the Heights, firefighters say

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HOUSTON — A local tire shop has been reduced to ashes after an intense fire early Wednesday in the Heights area, according to the Houston Fire Department.

tire shop fire Heights Houston

Houston firefighters responded to intense flames at tire shop Oct. 24 in the Heights area.

Firefighters responded to the Gamboa Tire Shop on W. Cavalcade near Cordell Street just after 1 a.m. When crews arrived, the building and several tires were covered in flames and smoke.

Investigators said an employee was sleeping inside the shop at the time the fire started. It’s possible a space heater was the cause, firefighters said.

The worker was able to escape the building. He taken to the hospital in stable condition for treatment minor smoke inhalation.

No other injuries were reported.

The following images were taken at the scene:

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.