May is National Bike Month. Also, May 13-19 is Bike to Work Week.
Senior Planner with Houston - Galveston Area Council, Clint McManus shared tips that every bicyclist and driver should know before taking a trip on the roadways.
“Our latest data shows that 54% of bicycle crashes in 2016 happened on city streets where motorists and bicyclist encounter one another,” McManis said. “It’s critical for bicyclists and motorists to know the rules of the road to avoid fatalities.”
Safety Tips for Bicyclists:
- Give your bike a quick ABC check (air pressure in your tires, breaks and chains)
- Don't wear headphones or earbuds
- Always wear a helmet and reflective
- Ride with traffic not against
Safety Tips for Drivers:
- Reduce speed near bicyclists
- Use 3-foot rule when passing a bicyclist
- Look both ways at a stop sign
- Be extra cautious of children bicyclists