HOUSTON, TX - This week, the family of Jacqueline Gomez filed a civil lawsuit against Eddie Herrera and his mother, Melissa Ann Martinez.
Herrera is accused of killing Gomez on prom night. Court documents say Annie Barron, Gomez's mother, contacted Martinez before the dance and Martinez agreed to chaperone the couple and bring Gomez home as soon as the prom ended.
Barron says that isn't what happened. Instead, when she called Martinez to find out why her daughter wasn't home, the civil filing alleges Martinez made excuses. All the while, Barron accuses Martinez of renting a hotel room for Gomez and Herrera, providing drugs to the high-schoolers and leaving the teens there. Investigators say, once alone, Gomez and Herrera had sex, during which he choked her to death.
The civil suit says:
"Martinez was negligent for:
1. Choosing not to bring Jacqueline home after the prom as agreed with Plaintiff
2. Renting a hotel room for Defendant Herrera and for Jacqueline
3. Leaving Defendant Herrera and Jacqueline alone in the hotel room
4. Providing alcohol and prescription drugs to Defendant Herrera and Jacqueline.
Defendant Herrera was negligent for:
1. Providing alcohol and prescription drugs to his prom date, Jacqueline Gomez
2. Choking Jacqueline Gomez to the point where it caused her death."
In addition to the civil suit, Martinez faces criminal charges for providing alcohol and hydrocodone to the teens. Herrera is being charged with Gomez's murder.