HOUSTON (CW39) Rover’s 3rd annual Most Popular Dog Breed report has been released. The top trending dog breeds in the Houston area for 2021 are a variety of pooches, some little, some big, but all cute in their own way.
Top 5 Trending Dog Breeds in Houston
- English Bulldog
- Miniature Schnauzer
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- Great Dane
- Goldendoodle (doodle mixes are surging; see press release)
Nationally, Goldendoodles are America’s new sweetheart breed, making a massive jump from #9 in 2020 to #5 in 2021. Goldendoodles are also the second most popular puppy breed of the year, behind only mixed breeds, making them the official breeds of the ‘pandemic puppy’ boom.
To gain a deeper understanding of how the pandemic has impacted pet parenthood, Rover surveyed 1,000 U.S. dog parents. Here were some of the report’s highlights:
- The “pandemic pet” phenomenon is real as 67% of dog owners said they welcomed a dog into their family in the past year.
- Pet parents are taking note as the vast majority (75%) said they’ve noticed more dogs in their neighborhood.
- Even as “doodles” make a national splash, mixed breed dogs are still the most prevalent with nearly half of those surveyed saying they have a mixed breed dog and that they were specifically looking for one.
- Pet parents gravitate toward others with similar dogs, with the majority (74%) surveyed claiming they connect with people who have the same dog breed as them.
- Over half of dog owners go as far as joining a club or attending a meetup related to their dog’s breed. If that wasn’t enough, nearly two-thirds of dog parents share their dog love by sporting dog-centric apparel or decor related to their dog’s breed.
- When it came down to adding a new furry family member, the majority of dog parents (76%) said that breed was important to them and the biggest consideration was being “family friendly.”
- Other key factors for pet lovers when getting a dog included: a dog that would snuggle (60%); a breed that would get along with other pets (54%); and a breed that was highly intelligent (51%).
The full report is here: Rover’s complete 3rd annual Most Popular Dog Breeds