Houston boy dies from brain-swelling amoeba

CW39
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HOUSTON — A 14-year-old boy has died after coming into contact with a rare amoeba while swimming in a lake north of Houston with friends.

Michael Riley’s family posted on Facebook that he will now he will “move on to be with the Lord for future heavenly tasks…”

It all started after Michael went swimming at Sam Houston State Park on August 13, and reportedly got a headache and fever shortly after. Family says he was diagnosed with Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis, a disease that only infected 35 people in the U.S. between 2005 and 2014 according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But 33 of those cases were deadly.

The disease is apparently contracted by inhaling a certain kind of amoeba that can be found in some Houston lakes. Doctors suggest keeping your head above water or using nose plugs to be safe.

Now, Michael’s family is vowing to raise awareness and help support research on the disease.

Popular

CW39 HOUSTON NO WAIT WEATHER + TRAFFIC

GET THE NEW CW39 APP

Weather Headlines - Adam Krueger

Carwash forecast - Star Harvey

7-day forecast - Star Harvey

High temperatures Thursday - Adam Krueger

Radar History

Mick Jagger and Dave Grohl team up for a pandemic anthem

Hey Houston! Children's Museum Houston needs your vote

Spring Into Car Care 1

Rain levels through Friday - Star Harvey

ERCOT Weather Power Request - Meteorologist Adam Krueger Responds

Best Places To Bike

Apollo 13 Exhibit - Part 2- Sharron Melton

Gas Price Forecast

LOL Maggie and Star - Leduc Chocolates - Houston Happens 04102021

Houston Happens - Maggie Flecknoe and Star Harvey 04102021

Pentagon investigating UFO images - Mystery Wire

Active 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season Expected

FEATURED STORIES

More Featured

CRIME

More Crime

Local Headlines

More Local

Don't Miss