The man armed with a large rifle, fired shots inside through the locked front door of YES Prep Southwest Secondary on Friday afternoon, according to Houston Police Chief Troy Finner. The administrator was shot in the back and transported in serious condition to the Medical Center in downtown Houston to undergo surgery.
The suspect surrendered and is in custody after police responded to the shooting on Friday afternoon. Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said “a complete search of the school was conducted to make sure no one else was hiding.”
The scene settle down after 2PM after parents rushed to pick up their kids.
12:30PM Police tweeted they received reports of an active shooting situation at the 4400 block of Anderson Road at Hiram Clarke, where the YES Prep Southwest Secondary School is located. More than 1,000 students attend the campus. It’s a grade 6-12 campus.
Police also said that one suspect is in custody and officers searched the school for more suspects.
As of 12:45 p.m. students were let out of classes at the school. Police staged an area at West Fuqua and Hiram Clarke for parents to pick up their children. Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said that parents should not go to the school to pick up their kids.
A spokesperson with the school later said that no students were involved or injured in the incident and a school administrator was transported to the hospital. The shooting happened near the front entry of the school.
Houston police chief Troy Finner is expected to speak with the media soon.
As the scene unfolded, YES Prep Southwest posted the following on their Facebook page:
Latest videos, No Wait Weather, NO WAIT TRAFFIC, and news.
Join us every night from 9-10pm for your news at 9PM.
- PHOTOS | Severe weather damage from north Harris County tornado Wednesday morningHOUSTON (KIAH) – Severe weather rolled through the local area Wednesday morning. CW39 was on scene where damage from wild winds moved through parts of north Harris County. SEVERE WEATHER COVERAGE | CW39 NO WAIT WEATHER + TRAFFIC Here are a few pictures of damage caused by a tornado that came through Airway Drive, Montgomery Road, and […]
- Astros giving back to Houston Area Women’s Center during Fall ClassicAstros to give a $25,000 grant that will go to Houston Area Women’s Center enrichment project.
- ‘Rust’ movie-set shooting: Authorities present findingsThe sequence of events has baffled Hollywood professionals and prompted calls to better regulate firearms of sets or even ban them in the age of seamless computer-generated imagery.
- Another shot? CDC says some people may need 4th COVID vaccine doseAs some people receive a third COVID vaccine dose, or booster shot, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is now talking about a fourth dose.
- Newsfeed Now: FDA panel backs Pfizer’s low-dose COVID-19 vaccine for kids; Man shaves beard for toddler’s cancer treatmentWeekdays at 10:30 a.m. CST/11:30 a.m. EST, Newsfeed Now will be streaming the top stories in the U.S. utilizing our newsrooms across the country. If you miss the live report, you’ll be able to see a replay minutes after the stream ends.