HOUSTON (CW39) Severe weather awareness week ends today! Each day this week, the NWS Houston/Galveston office highlighted a different mode of severe weather and give tips on how to stay safe.
Temperatures are already starting to warm up. Before you know it, the oppressive Texas heat and humidity will be here!
Remember these heat related safety tips:
- Never leave children or pets in parked vehicles. Temperature inside of a parked car can turn deadly within minutes!
- If your job requires long hours outside. Be sure to take frequent breaks in the shade and stay hydrated.
- Continuously check on the elderly and those without AC
- Limit strenuous activity outdoors
- Avoid excessive caffeine, alcohol, and sugary drinks. Hydrate with WATER and electrolyte beverages.
Meteorologist Tim Cady is a forecaster for the Houston/Galveston National Weather Service Office. He explains more on heat safety and the role of the National Weather Service during severe weather events.