Country music firebrand Charlie Daniels has died of a stroke at 83; had hit with ‘Devil Went Down to Georgia.’
The hit was released in 1979 and the band was featured in 1980’s classic film “Urban Cowboy,” filmed in Pasadena, Texas. Here’s a look video from the film taped at Gilley’s in Pasadena.
Gilley’s was a nightclub located in Pasadena, Texas, from 1970 to 1990. The club, owned by Sherwood Cryer, had been previously called Shelly’s. Cryer decided to reopen it in 1970 under the name Gilley’s, with budding musician Mickey Gilley as partner.
In other CW39 headlines…
- Tropical Storm Isaias: What to expect from the storm as it approaches the coast on Monday
- Crowds at the Florabama and Orange Beach watch waters for SpaceX Splashdown
- GALLERY: 3-alarm fire at Salon and Spa Wholesale aftermath
- Rockets get 120-116 win over Bucks
- POLL: Retail rout goes on, Men’s Wearhouse, Lord & Taylor, Tailored Brands, falter
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)