HOUSTON (KIAH) — Every year, Americans look forward to enjoying Thanksgiving with family and friends. While the COVID-19 pandemic is still top-of-mind, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) reminds us all that it’s also important to keep family and friends safe from foodborne illness this Thanksgiving.
“Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times to remind people about food safety,” said Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack. “I personally know how much effort it takes to prepare a full Thanksgiving meal, and I always ensure I’m following safe food practices like handwashing, using a food thermometer and avoiding cross-contamination.”
By following the tips below, you’ll lessen the chances of having a visit from foodborne illness — an unwelcome visitor — at your table this Thanksgiving.
How to clean and sanitize your Thanksgiving turkey
Always wash your hands before preparing and handling food. Handwashing helps to prevent the spread of germs. Recent USDA observational research showed that 95 percent of participants failed to properly wash their hands before handing food. Make sure to follow the steps to wash your hands properly.
Clean and sanitize any surfaces that will touch food such as tabletops, kitchen counters, stoves, sinks, etc.
Latest videos, No Wait Weather, NO WAIT TRAFFIC, and news.
Join us every night from 9-10pm for your news at 9PM.
- Stores kick off Black Friday but pandemic woes lingerRetailers are expected to usher in the unofficial start to the holiday shopping season Friday with bigger crowds than last year in a closer step toward normalcy.
- Parking lot safety tips for Black Friday shoppersCW39’s Sydney Simone is outside Best Buy to talk about Black Friday parking tips.
- 5 best Black Friday deals under $100BestReviews is reader-supported and may earn an affiliate commission. Details. Black Friday has arrived, and shoppers are competing for the best deals of the day — including many popular gifts now priced below $100. This year, retailers are responding to the demand for budget-priced household, self-care and beauty gifts by slashing prices on best-selling products from […]
- How to make sure your package is shipped and under the tree by ChristmasUPS recommends you get your holiday shopping and shipping done promptly to avoid any delays. UPS says 95 percent of their packages are delivered on time.
- FDA says Merck COVID pill effective, experts will review safetyU.S. health officials say Merck’s experimental COVID-19 pill is effective but they raised questions about its safety during pregnancy.