HOUSTON, Texas (KIAH) As the Houston Independent School District debate about whether to require a mask, Austin ISD had now made the requirement official. Mask policies for school aged children continues to heat up, and with at least 56% of parents with school-age children telling ValuePenguin their kids will attend only in-person classes this fall, the question of whether children should wear masks at school is becoming more complicated for some.
ValuePenguin surveyed more than 1,000 parents with children under 18 to learn more about where parents stood on masks and vaccinations when it comes to heading back to school.
- 74% of parents with kids younger than 18 support masks for students who haven’t gotten the COVID-19 vaccination. Parents in the Northeast are most supportive (85%), while those in the South are least supportive (67%).
- 44% of parents whose children will attend school in person at least part of the time plan to require their unvaccinated kids to wear masks, and a further 31% will ask their vaccinated kids to mask up. However, 25% won’t require their children to wear masks at school regardless of their vaccination status.
- As the delta variant surges, 44% of parents say their kids won’t go to in-person school full time this fall. That percentage breaks down to 27% opting for a hybrid schedule and 11% for full-time virtual school, as well as 6% who aren’t sure what to do yet.
- On the other hand, 12% of parents changed their child’s school during the pandemic so they could learn in person. Additionally, 32% of parents whose children will attend school in person this fall say their child’s learning suffered at home.
- Though COVID-19 vaccines have been approved for children 12 and older, 31% of parents aren’t comfortable allowing their age-eligible children to get the vaccine. That percentage jumps to 39% among mothers, compared with 21% among fathers.
View full report: https://www.valuepenguin.com/masks-at-school-survey
- R. Kelly found guilty in sex trafficking trial after decades of sexual misconduct allegations
- Post Oak and Forbes-Five Star Hotel hosts job fair Tuesday
- Houston Rockets Deliver Relief Items to Hurricane Ida Victims
- Coast Guard helped 2 off the Galveston Coast
- A Houston U.S. ARMY veteran homeless 20 years gets housing