HONOLULU (KHON2) — The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is warning parents to be on the lookout for a rare polio-like condition that affects children.
The health agency says it is preparing for a possible outbreak of acute flaccid myelitis, a life threatening condition that affects the nervous system.
The CDC says cases tend to spike every two years.
The most common symptoms are sudden limb weakness, respiratory illness and fever.
AFM can lead to permanent disability.
Latest stories on KHON2
- Brad Pitt, Jennifer Anniston, other stars reunite for ‘Fast Times at Ridgemont High’ virtual table read
- SALLY: Road to Recovery: WKRG plans 3 hour LIVE special from Orange Beach Friday
- CenterPoint Energy sending crews to help with Hurricane Sally Cleanup
- Kid from ‘Kid & Play’ in Houston
- 600K face masks to be distributed this weekend