HOUSTON (CW39) Many families around the nation are still behind on rent due to the pandemic. If you are in need of assistance, there are national resources for those renting in need of advice or public housing.
HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants. To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you.
Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)
To apply for either type of help, visit your local Public Housing Agency (PHA).
- PHAs in Texas
- Questions? Email or call our Public and Indian Housing Information Resource Center toll-free at (800) 955-2232.
Some PHAs have long waiting lists, so you may want to apply at more than one PHA. Your PHA can also give you a list of locations at which your voucher can be used.
- Contact a housing counseling agency
- HUD Resource Locator – search for HUD offices, affordable housing, public housing agencies and homeless resources
Other Texas Resources
- Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs – listing of affordable apartments in your area
- Affordable rentals in the Houston area
- Find units for rent in rural Texas
- Independent living centers – for seniors and people with disabilities
- Search for federal tax credit rental housing
- Help with your utility bills
- Tenant rights, laws and protections
- Housing resources for seniors