HOUSTON (CW 39) — Leaders in Houston and Harris County announced the first round of voluntary evacuations on Tuesday.
They’re far from the only spot in our area to put evacuation orders in place.
Here’s our running list of mandatory and voluntary evacuations:
- Chambers County — The county issued a mandatory evacuation for low-lying and flood-prone areas.
- Galveston – The city’s mayor pro tem issued a mandatory evacuation instructing all Galveston residents to leave the island for safety.
- Galveston County – According to Judge Mark Henry, Bolivar Peninsula, Clear Lake Shores, Jamaica Beach, La Marque and Tiki Island issued mandatory evacuations.
- Kemah – City is now under a mandatory evacuation.
Voluntary & Mandatory Evacuations:
- Harris County – Harris County announced voluntary evacuations for Zones A & B along the coast as Laura inches closer to the Houston area.
- Dickinson – A voluntary evacuation has been ordered for low-lying areas of the city.
- League City – League City’s mayor issed a voluntary evacuation order for the entire town. Residents in low lying areas including those along Clear Lake, Clear Creek and Dickinson Bayou are strongly encouraged to consider evacuating.
- Nassau Bay – City of Nassau Bay Mayor Mark Denman issued a voluntary evacuation recommendation for Nassau Bay’s most vulnerable residents.
- Seabrook – Mayor Thom Kolupski has issued a voluntary evacuation for all residents of the city.
- Galveston County has issued a voluntary evacuation for the Bolivar Peninsula. It’s possible the Bolivar Peninsula will become cut off from emergency services due to this storm. Those with medical conditions and the elderly are strongly encouraged to make their evacuation now.
- Port Arthur – Mandatory evacuation effective 6a.m. Tuesday morning according to the Mayor. Sabine Pass, Pleasure Island are also included. 54,000 residents reside in this coastal area. Sand bags will be available at Procter Street Pavilion. Bring your own shovel. Bags and sand will be provided.
- Jefferson County – Mandatory evacuation in effect sincre 6:30am
- Orange County – Mandatory evacuations are in effect.
We’ll continue to update this story with additional evacuations orders.