HOUSTON (AP) – Top officials in Houston are calling for the city to lock back down as area hospitals strain to accommodate the onslaught of patients sick with the new coronavirus.
Mayor Sylvester Turner and Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo say a stay-at-home order is needed to cope with the surge of COVID-19 cases. Both are Democrats.
Hidalgo said over the weekend that a stay-at-home order is needed “until the hospitalization curve comes down.”
But the decision over a lockdown rests with Republican Gov. Greg Abbott.
- State of Texas: Senate debate and races to watch across Texas
- It’s back! How to grab KFC’s fried chicken-scented firelog before it sells out
- Second stimulus checks: Here’s where we stand as a new week begins
- On the moon, water water everywhere and not a drop to drink (yet)
- How did your neighbors donate? Map breaks down Trump-Biden split by zip code