This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MISSOURI CITY, Texas—  Two people were killed and another person was injured after a woman opened fire at her workplace in Missouri City Monday morning, according to police.

Police have identified the shooter as Kristine Peralez.

Peralez is accused of shooting her manager, Francisco Reyes, and another employee, Fredencio Janas, at the Ben E. Keith food distribution warehouse in the 700 block of Cravens Road around 2:11 a.m.

According to police, about 20 people were working inside the warehouse when Peralez opened fire, killing Reyes and injuring Janas.

“When the call came into the city’s dispatch center, our officers quickly responded with assistance from area law-enforcement agencies who helped secure the scene,” Chief Mike Berezin said. “Subsequently, a SWAT team conducted an extensive search of the building and no additional suspects or victims were discovered.”

During the search of the building, Peralez was located by an officer and an exchange of gunfire ensued.  Peralez was struck by a bullet during the exchange, but it is not known if she was struck by the officer, or if she turned the gun on herself.

“We actually had an officer that engaged the shooter, whether or not the shooter was actually hit by our officer’s bullets or it was self-inflicted, we’re not totally sure at this point,” Berezin said.

Peralez and Janas were both transported to Southwest Memorial Hospital.

Peralez died from her injuries and Janas, who sustained a gunshot wound to the leg, is expected to survive.

Ben E. Keith Gulf Coast released a statement that read in part:

“We can confirm that there has been a tragic situation involving three employees at our facility in Missouri City. Our thoughts are with the families of all involved. We are currently working with law enforcement officials to provide any information useful to their active investigation. We cannot provide any details publicly at this time because we do not want to compromise the investigation. Media questions should be directed to local law enforcement. We appreciate the efforts of local law enforcement, who responded very quickly to this situation.”

Investigators are still working to determine a motive for the shooting

“That right now is the million dollar question as to why the shooting took place,” Capt. Paul Poulton said. “Our investigators are looking into every possible motive, and hopefully, we’ll be able to determine that pretty soon.”