HFD: Electrical short causes fire at south Houston home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HOUSTON — The Houston Fire Department suspects an electrical short caused a heavy fire early Thursday at a home in South Union area, authorities said.

HFD responded to the house fire around 3:30 a.m. and found heavy smoke coming from the one-story home. Firefighters made a fast attack, finding the source of the fire and extinguishing its flames quickly.

“We saw smoke. No fire showing,” Eric Hunter of HFD said. “It looked like a little light haze.”

Investigators said it was an electrical fire inside a wall of the house that made its way up into the attic. Firefighters were forced to cut a hole in the roof.

An elderly woman was inside the home when the fire broke out, but she got out safely.

No injures were reported.

Weekend forecast



Don't Miss