Houston woman dies from bedbug treatment that heated apartment to nearly 140 degrees, family claims

Local
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

HOUSTON — The family of a Houston woman who died last July has filed a wrongful death lawsuit that claims her death happened after the alleged victim's apartment was treated for bed bugs.

According to relatives, the Laurel Point Senior Apartments and Certified Termite and Pest Control fail to use a treatment safe for seniors and failed to tell Elizabeth and William Ashbaugh the home wasn't safe to go back to after a technique was used that raised the temperature of the their apartment to nearly 140 degrees.

The suit alleges the Ashbaughs began to lose consciousness shortly after returning home and had to be rushed to the hospital.

Elizabeth died of hypethermia the same night.

NewsFix reached out to Laurel Point and CTPC and neither were available for comment.

More Local Headlines

Stay connected! Download the CW39 NewsFix app for iOS or Android devices and the CW39 Weather app for iOS or Android devices.

TOP VIDEO

Teen Survives Lightning Strike

Houston Happenings: Monday, Aug. 10th

Engagement Fail

Two More COVID-19 Testing Sites

LOCAL COVID-19 PUBLIC THREAT LEVEL

TEXAS COVID-19 CASES

Hot and cloudy week ahead


Days

Hours

Minutes

Seconds

Don't Miss

Latest

More Morning Dose

Popular