HOUSTON (KIAH) A family lost everything they own early Wednesday morning when their home was destroyed in a fire that was most likely caused by a space heater.

A woman woke up just before 3 a.m. to the couch she was sleeping on in flames.

She tried to put out the fire, but wasn’t able to.

Houston firefighters found flames shooting out of the house in the 7000 block of Kassarine Pass when they got there.

They were eventually able to extinguish the fire, but not before almost everything in the home was damaged.

“They lost everything,” the woman’s step-father Jimmiee Jones said. “We’re trying to help them and get them back right, because it’s just a tragedy. But everybody got out. That was a blessing, and nobody happened to get hurt.”

The woman lived in the home with two children and a grandchild, and all four of them are left with nothing.

Two of them were home when the fire started, but they were about to get out safely without any injuries.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission urges anyone using a space heater in their homes to keep them at least three feet from beds and other furniture, clothes, curtains, and paper products.

Jones says it’s important that people take space heater safety seriously.

“Those heaters, they ain’t no good,” he said. “You’ve got to watch them and know how to use them. You can’t keep the heaters plugged and running all day.”