(CNN) — At least three people were killed and six more injured Tuesday in a car bomb explosion and gun attack against the luxurious Corinthia Hotel in central Tripoli, Libya’s state-run LANA news agency reported.
A spokesman for the Corinthia Group in Malta told CNN that the siege is over and “the gunmen were killed.”
He said there had never been a hostage situation in the hotel, as some reports suggested.
“We are trying to take possession of the hotel back to assess the damage,” he said, but Libyan security forces are not allowing that yet.
He said one staff member, a Filipino woman, had been injured.
The spokesman said the company was still trying to verify reports of foreign casualties.
Essam al-Naas, a Tripoli security spokesman, earlier told CNN that at least two Libyan security personnel had been killed in the attack and that three gunmen were holed up in the hotel.
An online group that supports ISIS said that the attack was carried out in the name of Abu Anas al-Libi.
Al-Libi was an alleged al Qaeda operative accused of involvement in the bombing of U.S. embassies in Africa, who was captured by U.S. special forces in Libya. He died in a U.S. hospital this month.
Tuesday’s attack began when militants detonated a car bomb in the parking lot of the hotel. The gunmen then shot their way into the hotel.
Guests were evacuated to safety, however. The five-star hotel is popular among government officials, some of whom reside there.
A witness to the events told CNN that all roads leading to the Corinthia Hotel had been sealed off by security forces.
People were warned to stay away, the witness said, adding that there had been exchanges of gunfire.