Woman dies after cigarette ignites oxygen tank, causing explosion in North Carolina home

News

ZEBULON, N.C. — A woman died Tuesday when her oxygen tank exploded inside her North Carolina home, WRAL reports.

Firefighters responded before 8 a.m. to the home on Crowned Court in Nash County.

The 61-year-old woman, identified by WNCN as Belinda Coble, was using the oxygen tank while she smoked a cigarette, according to the Nash County Sheriff’s Office.

The sound of the explosion and smoke alarm woke her husband, who was sleeping in a different room. The husband reportedly extinguished the fire and called 911.

Authorities found Coble dead inside the home.

Latest Weather Forecast

More Weather

Houston 'Remarkable Women' Spotlight

More Remarkable Women

Popular

Latest

More Morning Dose