Komodo dragon killed in San Antonio Zoo fire

NewsFix
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN ANTONIO, TX – An electrical problem inside the San Antonio Zoo is to blame for a fire that broke out in the reptile area.

We’re sad to report a rare komodo dragon and other reptiles died, and several snakes are in serious condition due from smoke inhalation.

The fire posed some unusual challenges for firefighters, having to dodge dozens of poisonous snakes and keep their water usage to a minimum to avoid drowning the animals.

Luckily, no other animals or people were injured.

The zoo says it could be up to eight months before the komodo exhibit reopens.

LATEST VIDEO

Peace march planned in honor of George Floyd

Thumbnail for the video titled "Peace march planned in honor of George Floyd"

Four Bears In A Box

Thumbnail for the video titled "Four Bears In A Box"

Brother of George Floyd Speaks In Minneapolis

Thumbnail for the video titled "Brother of George Floyd Speaks In Minneapolis"

Officer Struck at Emancipation

Thumbnail for the video titled "Officer Struck at Emancipation"

Take a “pie in the face” and help local non-profit Camp for All

Thumbnail for the video titled "Take a “pie in the face” and help local non-profit Camp for All"
More Video

Days

Hours

Minutes

Seconds

Latest Weather Forecast

More Weather

Don't Miss

Latest

More Morning Dose

Popular