LEHI, Utah - The day before Christmas is typically known as Christmas Eve. It's also another, unofficial and less holy holiday; Eggnog day! You know, that eggy, creamy drink, usually doused with booze and downed by those overcome by yuletide cheer. But a Utah man might have indulged too much (and too quickly) in the Christmas Spirit, when his eggnog sent him to the hospital!
Ryan Roche, 33, rocked the impromptu eggnog chugging contest held during his office holiday party. The prize: a $50 Ruth's Chris Steakhouse gift card. He managed to beat his competition when he chugged a quart of the stuff in 12 seconds. But his eggnog triumph was cut short, by shortness of breath.
The chugging champion was quickly whisked away to the hospital. The diagnosis? Lungs clogged-up with sticky holiday drink. Looks like his nog went down the wrong pipe. He spent 24 hours in intensive care with a fever, sweats and chills and two extra days in the hospital with severe double-lung pneumonia.
Now out of the hospital, Roche is once again reunited with his family and able to spend the holidays at home. The champ proved he doesn't choke during challenges, but it's the post-game he finds a little hard to swallow.