Memorial held for 12 Marines killed in Hawaii copter crash

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HAWAII – Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 463 is holding a memorial service honoring 12 of its Marines aboard Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii on Friday

Twelve Marines went missing when the two CH-53E Super Stallion helicopters carrying them apparently crashed off the coast of Hawaii last week. The Marine Corps on Thursday said it changed the status of the Marines from missing to deceased “after five full days of search and rescue operations.”

A witness on January 14 saw a fireball in midair; another reported seeing a flare. The U.S. Marine Corps notified the Coast Guard of the missing Marines after the crash. A search ensued involving the Navy, the National Guard, as well as Hawaii fire, police and Ocean Safety.

Base Hawaii previously identified them as:

  • Maj. Shawn M. Campbell, 41, College Station, Texas
  • Capt. Brian T. Kennedy, 31, Philadelphia
  • Capt. Kevin T. Roche, 30, St. Louis
  • Capt. Steven R. Torbert, 29, Florence, Alabama
  • Sgt. Adam C. Schoeller, 25, Gardners, Pennsylvania
  • Sgt. Dillon J. Semolina, 24, Chaska, Minnesota
  • Sgt. Jeffrey A. Sempler, 22, Woodruff, South Carolina
  • Sgt. William J. Turner, 25, Florala, Alabama
  • Cpl. Matthew R. Drown, 23, Spring, Texas
  • Cpl. Thomas J. Jardas, 22, Fort Myers, Florida
  • Cpl. Christopher J. Orlando, 23, Hingham, Massachusetts
  • Lance Cpl. Ty L. Hart, 21, Aumsville, Oregon

When the search was officially suspended at sunset Tuesday in Hawaii, a total of 130 rescue personnel had covered 40,530 nautical square miles, an area about the size of Florida, in a 115-hour search effort, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

The Marines and their helicopters were on a training flight when they all appeared to go down. No mayday call was received, just word that something had gone wrong, the Coast Guard said.

Searchers spotted a fire and debris field, including an empty life raft, about 2½ miles north of Haleiwa Beach and later found floating pieces of debris consistent with military aircraft.

Latest Weather Forecast

More Weather

Houston 'Remarkable Women' Spotlight

More Remarkable Women



More Morning Dose