San Bernardino killer was in touch with international terrorists and had a bomb-making factory in his garage, investigators say

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

SAN BERNARDINO, CA – The numbers are staggering regarding what happened and how, when two individuals walked into a San Bernardino holiday party Wednesday and started shooting everyone in sight.

Before health department employee Syed Farook and his wife Tashfeen Malik died in a shootout with police, they had shot 35 people at the Inland Regional Center.

Fourteen of them died when police say the pair fired a total of 65 rounds into the conference room.

And they came loaded for business, armed with two assault rifles and two handguns, purchased legally, along with 1,400 rounds for the long guns and 200 rounds for the handguns.

When police searched their home, they found 4,400 rounds of ammo, a dozen pipe bombs, and hundreds of tools for making more bombs.

“We did locate the one pipe bomb, it was actually three pipe bombs combined into one, that had a remote-control car type remote-control device that appears not to have worked in this case,” San Bernardino’s police chief Jarrod Burguan told reporters.

Terrorism experts say connected bombs to remote-control vehicles is something al-Qaeda likes to do.

Survivors later told family members of the horror they experienced in those brief minutes.

One survivor was the sister of Kathy Hotetz who said her sister told her the shooters “didn't say a word.  She said it was gunfire, a pause, more gunfire and then just silence.”

Stephanie Baldwin’s sister was shot as she hid behind a desk. "And she was trying to shield herself with a chair, along with a man next to her.  Then, all of a sudden, she said she just felt it going through her back."

Farhan Khan is Syed Farook’s brother-in-law. He told reporters that he has no idea why Farook went on the killing spree. “I have absolutely no idea, I am in shock myself.”

Investigators say Farook was a U.S. citizen, born in Illinois, and went to Saudi Arabia for the hajj in 2013 where he met Malik who was born in Pakistan.

She later became a lawful permanent resident.

The couple apparently dropped off their six-month-old child at a grandmother’s house before heading off to kill people.

According to investigators, Farook was radicalized and was in touch with people investigated by the FBI for international terrorism.

At this point, the only two people who know for sure are dead, which makes connecting the dots that much harder.

Latest Weather Forecast

More Weather

Houston 'Remarkable Women' Spotlight

More Remarkable Women



More Morning Dose