HOUSTON (KIAH) – Apples, strawberries and figs, among others are ripe for the picking, but what should you plant now for a sweet and savory spring garden? Meteorologist Carrigan Chauvin talks with a local farmer about best practices for harvesting in the month of November.
Starting with strawberries… “They grow the mother plants in northern California and Canada through the summer and they dig them up using machines. What we get are thousands and thousands of bare root strawberry plants,” Weldon said.
Weldon is the owner of Wood Duck Farm in Cleveland, TX. Bare root strawberries are one of many crops planted by Texas farmers in mid-November.
Others include cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, spinach, and Swiss chard. These are all cold tolerate or “cold hardy,” meaning strawberries are resilient to the snaps of frigid air we get from time to time in the winter months. Strawberries normally are harvested early March.
“Assuming the weather cooperates which is always an unknown factor,” Weldon adds.
They proved their strength last year!
“They came back with a vengeance; they were just ready to rock and roll,” says Weldon.
Carrigan’s take …
In my opinion… Picking is always more fun than planting… So, what do we normally harvest in mid-November? Tomatoes for one, and of course pie pumpkins! Just in time for Thanksgiving. Others include… Beets, bell peppers, squash, and carrots. Van said overall this year, he had a good fall harvest. And I’ll ‘cheers’ to that!
Latest videos, No Wait Weather, NO WAIT TRAFFIC, and news.
Join us every night from 9-10pm for your news at 9PM.
- Biden maintains optimism on US economyWhile a lower-than-expected 210,000 jobs were added in November, the White House has an optimistic tone about the overall shape of the US economy.
- Lakewood Church mystery money discovered by plumber may be connected to 2014 heistHOUSTON (KIAH) – If you were in Houston in 2014, you may remember the mystery surrounding a huge amount of money that went missing from Joel Osteen’s Lakewood Church – that was never found. Now Houston Police say money and checks in envelopes have been found and have opened an investigation. However, they have not disclosed exactly how […]
- White House gears up to slow spread of omicronWhile federal health officials say they are monitoring the spread of the omicron variant of coronavirus, they are reminding people that delta is still the main threat in the United States and that getting vaccinated is still the best way to slow the spread and protect yourself.
- Shooting suspect’s parents bond set at combined $1M, plead not guiltyThe parents of the teenage suspect in the Oxford High School shooting were arrested overnight in Detroit, police confirmed to NewsNation.
- #ICYMI: Bulldog taken in home invasion, Houston firefighter passes away, man admits to burning businessesHOUSTON (KIAH) — Here’s what you missed on Eyewitness News at 9 here on CW39 Houston. Robbers take bulldog in home invasion The search is on for a missing English bulldog after his owner was pistol whipped and robbed in a home invasion. It happened on Oct. 21 around noon at an apartment complex on Buffalo […]