NASA named the asteroid 2020 SW. Scientists say the school-bus sized asteroid will skim past Earth’s surface with about 13,000 miles to spare.
That’s considered so close that our gravity will alter its speed and path. The closest approach to earth will be this morning near Australia and New Zealand.
If you could rename the asteroid based on everything that’s happened this year, what would you call it?
You can watch online via the Virtual Telescope Project in Rome, however, with host Gianluca Masi. The live feed is scheduled for September 23, 2020, starting at 22:00 UTC (5 p.m. CDT); translate UTC to your time.
- Newsfeed Now: President Trump heads to Arizona, Biden works virtually from Delaware
- Houston Downtown District announces fall and winter schedule
- Job recruitment event coming to the Houston area
- Boeing makes deeper job cuts as aircraft business slows
- More than 7.8 million Texans have voted. Which counties are seeing the highest turnout?